Lingokids' mission is to break down language barriers and provide equal opportunities for kids all around the world.
To help deliver our educational content to millions of families, we’re looking for a Backend Engineer.
At Lingokids, we encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We actively seek to hire individuals with different perspectives, and we are eager to continue diversifying our company's culture. We strive to be an inclusive, supportive place where you can do the best work of your career.
Our offices are in Madrid, Spain, but the position is open to anyone with experience working remotely. Some overlap with Central European Time is expected, though, for those times when a video call is the most efficient way to communicate.
As a Senior Backend Engineer you will help build upon and improve the API services that deliver a personalized learning experience to millions of families worldwide. You will also get a chance to work on internal tools that help us better understand our users and offer them exactly what they need.
As part of the Platform team, you will work closely with other teams to make their work easier by providing them the right tools, but at the same time making sure our end users have an amazing experience.
More specifically, you will:
- Bring your analytical skills to early product definition sessions and help shape product ideas into technically feasible features.
- Document product, technical, and architectural decisions for the benefit of both engineering and product audiences.
- Own your work from development to production and ensure its quality, maintainability and supportability.
- Help keep our majestic monolith lean and modular. Currently we use Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, and Sidekiq but we'd consider new tools/frameworks/languages if our business would benefit.
- Provide educational content to suit the users' individual needs
- Reward and motivate users to continue progressing through the content, ensuring their experience is educational and fun.
- Focus on delivering a unique experience for each of our users, adapting to how they best consume content
The ideal teammate for us would be someone who believes that communication, empathy, inquisitiveness, and open-mindedness are fundamental to being successful in any endeavor.
You should have:
- Considerable experience designing and developing APIs with Ruby on Rails (or similar languages/frameworks) that scale to thousands of requests per minute.
- A deep understanding of the backend stack: HTTP, Relational Databases, Background Processing Systems, Asynchronous Messaging Systems
- Experience in both horizontal and vertical scaling of backend systems
We also look out for:
- A DevOps mentality of owning a service all the way to production.
- An appreciation for good User Experience, an eye for good Visual Design, and attention to detail.
English is a must. We are a multicultural team, and we are providing a service in English so, we don't care about certificates, but we expect you to be able to communicate fluently.
You should feel equally comfortable communicating in long-form writing. Given the circumstances, we have become a fully remote company. We believe that being articulate in both spoken and written long-form asynchronous communication is key to working efficiently together.
Experience working closely with non-technical stakeholders to refine requirements and bring them to life is a must. We expect our Backend Engineer to be the driving force for the entire development lifecycle.
🏡 Unlimited remote working: you can choose to work from home indefinitely or attend our Madrid headquarters whenever you feel like it. This position is open to anyone within +/- 2 hours of the CET timezone.
⚖️ Flexible hours and work-life balance: we care about the results you bring to the team. 9 to 6 and constant commuting is not for us either.
📈 Stock options: joining Lingokids means you can choose to own part of the company.
🌍 Visa sponsorship: if you need a visa to work in the EU, Lingokids will assist you during the visa process, costs included.
📚 Professional growth: up to €2.000 per year for conferences, books and training.
💬 Language lessons: language learning is what we’re all about! We’ll cover language classes for you to learn Spanish, English or Portuguese.
🩺 Health care: we have optional health insurance as flexible retribution and 4 online therapy sessions for free to help your self-awareness and wellbeing.
💳 Flexible compensation: you'll be able to include your monthly expenses in meals and transportations into your payroll.
🍲 Meal allowances: every month, you will receive a 60€ voucher for you to spend on the restaurants and food delivery services you like the most.
🖥 Home office setup: you'll have a 400€ voucher to set up your home office and a 35€ monthly allowance for remote expenses.
🙌 Feedback culture: feedback is the breakfast of champions, and we take it seriously. We have a real-time and hones feedback culture, with a formal feedback session every month.
If you think you don't tick all the boxes, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team.